Mud Runs & Running
Early in 2011 I was feeling like a slug, especially after
looking at the bathroom scale and finding that I was 178 lbs which is over 40
lbs more than when I was married. Little of it muscle. The guys at work were
talking about a run they did recently, the
Warrior Dash. It sounded
like fun but I definitely wasn't in shape for that. Well, a tough challenge
called Tough Mudder was
coming up later in the year so I decided that I'd try to get in shape for that
I started getting meals from
My Fit Foods instead of
the frozen aisle at the grocery store, started jogging at night, and after a
few months started the P90X
At first it was embarassing. I could not even run a mile
without stopping for breath, when I used to run cross country in high school
and college (but that was over 20 years ago). It didn't take long, though, for
me to work up to two miles, and then three. I now run three to five miles on a
I decided to try out my running capabilities with my
first 5K run in July 2011 at the "Los Chupacabras De La Noche" at MacAllister
Park. I hadn't run in an organized race since college so it was very
interesting - especially since this one was to be held at night. It was a lot
of fun, and I managed to run the whole 3.1 miles without stopping! My time was
37:46 which isn't too bad for a beginner. Since then I've run in several runs,
doing better each time.
In October of 2011 I finally ran in the Tough Mudder! It
was a great time, and I'm now addicted to mud runs. The Tough Mudder was, of
course, tough, but it was also fun and enlightening. It took us (a group of us
from work) about 4.5 hours to do the 11 mile obstacle course. I'm already
signed up for the one this October. I hope to finish it in a much better time
Below is a calendar of past and upcoming races. Join
Race Calendar and Results
- Too Cold to Hold 5K - 1/22/12 - 26:17 - 12th age group
- 50 overall
- Birds of a Feather 5K - 2/18/12 - 26:37 - 7th age
- NBU Kinderschuhe 5K - 3/3/12 - 24:55 - 6th age group -
- Paesano's Salado Creek Trail Run 5K - 3/4/12 - 30:24 -
2nd age group - 10th overall
- Warrior Dash - 3/17/12 - 40:24 - 67th age group -
- Jailbreak Austin - 3/31/12 - finished!
- Muddy Mayhem - 4/14/12 - finished!
- MudQuest - 4/21/12 - finished!
- Chupacabra de Houston 5K - 5/12/12 - 27:07 - 1st age
group - 4th overall
- Spartan Sprint - 5/18/12 - finished!
- The Original Mud Run Houston - 5/26/12 -
- Rebel Race - 6/9/12 - finished!
- Rock Solid Mud Run - 6/16/12 - finished!
- Warrior Dash - 6/17/12 - finished!
- Splash of the Titans - 6/23/12 - finished!
- El Chupacabra de San Antonio - 7/27/12 - 25:32.5 - 4th
- Galveston Sand Crab - 8/11/12 - 25:20.4 - 4th age
- Winnie Wars 3.5- 9/22/12 - Winnie, TX
- Tough Mudder Austin - 10/6/12 - Bastrop, TX
- Mighty Mud Dash - 10/20/12 - Houston, TX
- Survivor Mud Run - 10/27/12 - Dallas, TX
- Rock 'N Roll Half Marathon - 11/11/12 - San Antonio,
- Spartan Race (Beast) - 12/8/12 - Glen Rose,
- Run For Your Lives - 12/15/12 - Austin, TX
Race Calendar and Results
- San Antonio Chupacabra 5K - 7/22/11 - 37:46 - 12th age
group - 200th overall
- Galveston Sand Crab 5K - 8/13/11 - 33:07 - 7th age
group - 120th overall
- San Marcos Pink Heals 5K - 10/2/11 - 28:47 - 3rd age
group - 47th overall
- Tough Mudder Austin - 10/9/11
- Miles for the Mainland 5K - 10/15/11 - 27:26 - 1st age
group - 19th overall
- The Original Mud Run Ft Worth 10K - 1:43:00 - 241st
- Herd Racing Foundation 5K - 27:08 - 2nd age group -